This post contains affiliate links. This means that I get a commission if you purchase through those links, at no additional cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
One of the things that keep people from developing and changing their lives is the fear of failure and the lack of self-confidence to overcome this fear. The question is how to overcome fear in yourself? It is necessary to develop and gain self-confidence. Below are 25 tips for gaining self-confidence.
All these methods are not revolutionary, but they are effective. Anyways, the list is certainly not exhaustive. And you don’t have to do everything as if it’s a recipe … choose the tips that you like best and try them.
So, tips for developing self-confidence:
1. Find your soul mate. Often, no one else, like the person closest to you, can bring joy and confidence to your life, support you in difficult times.
2. Change the style of clothing. If you are well and presentably dressed, you will feel accordingly. Therefore you need to dress so that every day you like yourself 100% and periodically change the style of clothing so that there is no uniformity in life. It is not necessary to wear a suit for $ 500, you can wear casual clothes that look nice and presentable, sometimes delight yourself with new clothes.
3. Look at yourself. Stand in front of the mirror and look at yourself. Try to find what you like, and vice versa, what you would like to fix. Now try using your hairstyle, make-up or clothes to make your strengths in appearance or figure more pronounced and make your weaknesses less noticeable. If you do not know how to do this, read the advice of specialists on the Internet, see how famous people of your type dress up.
4. Think positively. You can change only one thing in yourself, and your whole life will change. Try changing your mindset. Try to look at yourself and the world around you with a new look, more calm and positive. Now it’s popular to read about the power of thought, as it really works. Do not blame yourself or others. Accept yourself and others as they are, and try to see the positive aspects of everything.
5. Become a person. You must learn to think, speak and act on your own. Many people have template thinking or collective thinking. Try to stand out from the crowd and confidence will grow in you. Learn to defend your point of view (your opinion) or the ability to insist on your own.
6. Know yourself. To defeat the enemy you need to know him well. You cannot conquer fear without knowing it, without looking into its eyes. Keep a diary about yourself and your thoughts, try to be honest with yourself. Then analyze all the thoughts and events of the last days, weeks, perhaps you will see causal relationships. And then start thinking positively about yourself, about the changes that you want to make in yourself. Think about what is stopping you from changing or taking a new step, are these real restrictions or are they just invented by you.
7. Not only think, but act. In addition to positive thinking, you must put it into action. Actions, in fact, are the key to developing self-confidence. At first, you learn to think positively, after which your actions change. You are what you do, and therefore, if you change what you do, then change what you are.
8. Be kind and generous. Being kind to others is a powerful way to improve self-esteem. You begin to feel good thinking that you are a good person.
9. Know your principles and goals. Do you have principles? What principles is your life based on? What are you striving for? If you cannot easily answer these questions, then think about who you are, why you came to this world. A principled person is a confident person. One who knows the short-term and long-term goals of his life is a successful and integral person.
10. Speak slowly and clearly. Such a simple thing, but it can affect how others perceive you. Strong people speak calmly and slowly, they are confident in themselves and that they are listening. Try to work with your speech, because almost all people have pauses and hiccups (uh, mmm, etc.), remove them, as well as the words parasites. Do not go to extremes – do not speak quietly or too slowly. And most importantly, say what you think and think what you say.
11. Improve your posture. Try to always keep your back straight, not slouch. When you walk with a flat back, when you look ahead of yourself, and not at the ground, it gives you confidence, and it also looks good from the side. It is equally important to sit without slouching. Rehearse in front of the mirror, not only your posture will improve, but also your mood and even well-being.
12. Set a small goal and achieve it. People often make the mistake of setting very high goals, and then when they fail, they give up. Instead, set more realistic goals and try to achieve them. With each your victory you will gain self-confidence.
13. Change in some habits. Try not to take on one big habit, for example, smoking. And engage in small habits, for example, wake up 30 minutes earlier than usual or leave work on time. Something small that you know exactly what you can do. Do this for a month. When you achieve a result, you will feel much better than when you just started to change yourself.
14. Focus on solutions. If you like to complain or focus on your problems, then change it right now. Start focusing on the solutions to the problem, not the problems themselves. If you have “I’m lazy” in your head, how can this help you? Start thinking, “Where can I get energy and how to spend less energy?”
15. Smile. Try to start smiling more often. In your life, everything is not so bad as you think, and there is always a reason to smile or be glad. Be joyful and positive. By doing this, you will help not only yourself but also those around you.
16. Be grateful. Just be thankful for what you have in life, for what others have given you. And be truly grateful and people will feel it in you.
17. Self-education. Investing in yourself is one of the best strategies for building self-confidence. You can do this in different ways, but one of the most reliable ways to expand your capabilities is through knowing yourself. The Internet is a great tool, of course, but there are also books, magazines, educational institutions.
18. Watch yourself. Pay attention to how you are gesturing, moving, how you are standing. Look into the eyes of the interlocutor. Do you interrupt the interlocutor? Do you like to give advice to others, while complaining about your life? Be honest with yourself and then a lot can change.
19. Become active. Doing something is always better than doing nothing. Of course, by doing something, you can fail or make a mistake … but mistakes are part of life, we learn from mistakes. Without overcoming mistakes and problems, we will never become strong. So do not worry about them. Just start doing something – sports, creativity, your own business, raising children, traveling, learning a foreign language – anything, the main thing is that your life makes sense and is filled with new colors.
20. In the forefront. Often people try to take a place in the last rows – be it a lecture, presentation or meeting. This is caused by a subconscious fear of being noticed. Overcome this in yourself and develop the habit of constantly sitting in the first or, in extreme cases, in the second row.
21. Make contacts. Learn to communicate, be the first to make contact, make new friends. This will help to relax, gain more self-confidence and expand the circle of acquaintances, and, therefore, opportunities.
22. Public speaking. Helping to develop self-confidence in public speaking. Most try to avoid them. Do not make this mistake! Speak at meetings, presentations, do not be afraid to ask questions to others, express your opinion.
23. No comparisons with others. It makes no sense to compare yourself with others. Compare only yourself today with yourself yesterday.
24. Praise each other. Unfortunately, we hear praise and compliments not often, although, of course, we all deserve it. Our confidence suffers greatly from this. Be the first to compliment and praise the other, and it will return to you.
25. Spiritual practice. Spiritual practice will help not only to deal with your fears and self-doubt but also to know yourself and the goals of life, to find peace and harmony in life, to work with your character.
- Self-Development And Self-Improvement: How To Start?
- Top 13 Self-Development Book To Read In 2020
- 7 Simple Ways To Start Your Week Productively
- 7 Simple Exercises To Improve Self-Control
Final thoughts on how to develop self-confidence
Some advice may seem useful to you, some not. It is not important. The main thing is to start doing something, to start changing, and to go to a new life. Try it and you will definitely succeed in developing self-confidence, and most importantly, change yourself and your life!
Cover photo by Georgie Cobbs on Unsplash